Part of being an effective accredited provider involves understanding how adults learn best. We attempt to deliver education covering the basic learning styles so each participant has the best opportunity to learn. We also focus on basic adult learning characteristics, which fulfil the development of employability skills.
- autonomous and self-directed. Adults need to be free to direct themselves. The lecturers actively involve adult participants in the learning process and serve as facilitators for them. Lecturers develop participants’ perspectives about what topics to cover and let them work on projects. Allow the participants to assume responsibility for presentations and encourage leadership. Guiding participants to knowledge and supplying them with some facts that will help them reach their goals.
- life experiences and knowledge needs to be shared amongst peers that include work-related activities, community responsibilities, and previous education. Most participants feel a better connection in learning to this knowledge/experience base. Lecturers help students draw out experience and knowledge, which is relevant to the topic
- goal-oriented. Students enrolling in a course usually know what goal they want to attain. They, therefore, appreciate an educational program that is organized and has clearly defined elements. Instructors show participants how this course will help them attain their goals. This classification of goals and course objectives is done early in the course.
- relevancy-oriented. Learning has to be applicable to their work or other responsibilities to be of value to them. Lecturers identify objectives for adult participants before the course begins. This also means, that theories and concepts must be related to a setting familiar to participants like projects that reflect the region and construction industry.
- practical. Focusing on the content and aspects of a lesson most useful to them in their work. They may not be interested in knowledge for its own sake. Instructors must tell participants explicitly how the lesson will be useful to them on the job.